Do you know an insecure leader?
By Celin Thomas
So I have been thinking of lately a lot on what an insecure leader can do? And why, perhaps when you read through the post you’ll figure it out yourself. So before you can know what an insecure leader can do; you first need to identify him and diagnose his impacts to the organisation’s regular functioning. Or else, you’ll pin point just about anybody that you detest simply coz you cant get along with.
An insecure leader is not just your superior, maybe somebody else’ superior, owner of the company, basically anybody you report to.
Lets hope this article doesn’t do me much damage but rather helps you’all…
Identifying and diagnosing an insecure leader
Pride or arrogance, bad temper, impatience, unnecessary sarcasm, back biting, taking your work and giving it to others, subtle torture by ignoring you, not talking to you, picking on you, humiliating you in front of everyone at work or just about anywhere- are few outstanding traits of an insecure leader.
All that you may have confided in him or her will be used against you more on a public platform. They keep taunting you, keep pestering you with jobs that are not part of your profile or KRA/KPI. Try to burden you with work so that you wont have time to complaint or even have a casual conversation with people around you. Eventually the fact that you don’t talk to people around you, will also be used against you- it’ll be shown that you’re not a team player and you don’t engage with other team members.
Damage that an insecure leader could do
- You may quit your job in a fit of rage
- You’ll fight within your team as the job profiles are conflicted without even realizing somebody is actually playing you
- Use your secrets against you (whatever maybe the source of your secrets)
- Use your adversaries and competition against you
- Complain about your shortcomings to his superiors
- Bad mouth about you to prospective employers
- Create a bad work culture
- Spread lies and create deceitful teams
- Basically break the team and the company due to their negativity. Without realizing that they will also lose their leadership and eventually their job with it
- Create a very malicious work environment, make it hard for anyone to function
How to remain careful?
Never reveal your personal lives in front of anyone at work (I know I did that mistake, cant tell you how much I’m regretting)
Try meditation and yoga- I know you’re perhaps a very secure person but someone can always insinuate you by passing a sarcastic, caustic comment or remark. Yoga will help you stay focused and calm
Try and help everyone in the organisation including the insecure leader. Eventually if people know you’re and have goodwill in the company, its hard to create a bad image about you
Be in good books of his superiors also
Stay clear from those people who are negative and are fueling your existing anger against him. They may not fight but you’ll end up fighting their battles and end up being an unrecognized martyr of a unknown corporate battle
Show your talents to those who need it and are capable of appreciating it (hoo…. I need to master this). Coz if you dont then, the insecure leader knows that your capabilities are his/her shortcomings and will his best to dodge you or side line you. Needless to say that it’ll affect your appraisal. I vividly remember my TL saying, who’ll do your appraisal? Boy there is a subtle hint everywhere and in everything
So why is a person insecure?
- They lack innovation and creativity
- They are generally ill-equipped or ill-suited for the job that they have been appointed for
- They use arrogance to shield their fears and insecurities
- When it comes to being a leader, they cater to their pride/arrogance rather than the vision of the company
- They have created a place for themselves by ass licking